Tuesday, October 7, 2008
Still on the Thailand topic (I've been back long enough I need another holiday!), Dani posted a hilarious youtube clip of Anjelah Johnson on the subject of asian nail bars.

Mrs Kittikorn and I went to the same massage place the whole trip. They were brilliant! We paid a little more (like, gee, a whole dollar) than the going rate around Phuket, but it had only opened that month, and all the women were so friendly and lovely. They also had on staff some women who used to work at the Bangkok Hospital, doing reflexology on patients during their recovery. We were told they moved down to help their cousin open the business, as the government only paid them 5 Baht - yes, that is correct, $0.20 AUD - for each reflexology session. At least their cousin was able to offer more money and a better standard of living.

So when Mrs Kittikorn and I were struck with the dreaded Thai Tummy (the only time I have ever been sick while travelling), we struggled down the street, past all the shopkeepers telling us they loved us and we were sexy girls (this is not flattering as they do it to everyone), to "our" massage place. The ladies took one look at us, and said the Thai equivalent of "STAT!". We were promptly taken to our mattresses, and 2 amazing magical miracle workers set about reflexoligising us into some state of normalcy.

And it worked. The relief was instant. A pressure point on each of stomachs was pushed, and I could hear Mrs Kittikorn's relief on the other side of the room! They proceeded to do lots of other points all over our bodies and we walked out feeling totally well. Tres bizarre! I'm totally converted now.

But despite missing my favourite girls, I'm totally not missing walking the streets with women harassing you with "yooooouuuuu wannnnnn manicooore pedicooore?" every 2.4 seconds!

And so I leave you with this clip - so true to life!

ARGH - I can't embed it on the page, I am such a technobimbo! So here is the link instead:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SsWrY77o77o

Labels: ,


Al at 10:33 AM |

0 Comments: