Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Gala Darling, she of the pink hair and brilliant tattoos fame, not to mention giver of sage advice, has just been in Paris for the weekend. Being something of a Francophile myself, I was jealous enough (I haven't been back since The Small Boy was born, much to my dismay) but add on top of that, Gala has just moved back to New York - well let's just say I was absolutely forest green with envy, such is the size of my longing for Paris and New York.
New York has long been on my list of travel desires, but as it is a long long long list (including Japan, Croatia, Egypt, The Christmas Markets in Germany, Borneo and Darwin, just to name but 6), it could well be a while before we/I make it.
The Man and I are having our honeymoon from end of January until March next year, and I had held hopes of getting my wish for either Japan or New York.
But factor The Small Boy into things, now that he requires his own seat and bed, and commonsense prevailed. The Small Boy is a seasoned traveller, he loved Vietnam, and he is a pleasure to fly with. But things get expensive when he is involved.
The deciding factor came though when we listed our criteria:
  • must fulfil a travel desire aka The List
  • weather must fit in with our alloted travel period (thus New York was canned, despite my love of cold weather)
  • must be suitable for a potentially pregnant woman (not yet but hopefully by then). No Snowboarding in Japan then.
Then I got all pouty, and said if Japan and New York were off the list, then I didn't want to go back to Europe because we'd waste days on a plane and besides it will be cold. The Man got all grumpy and said was it too much to request a little sunshine on his honeymoon (clearly still jealous about my 10 day Thailand break). I reminded him he doesn't like the sun because he burns easily and so on and so forth, round and round it went.
I even considered if it was bad manners to not take your husband on your honeymoon?
But then - we realised (aka reached a stalemate)! All our options were international - what about travelling a little closer to home...? Darwin and Byron Bay being on The List, along with Another Road Trip (following a memorable one in Ireland in 2004), we decided on our trip.
Fly to Sydney, catch up with friends, spend 3 weeks meandering our way up to Brisbane, stopping in and visiting My Brother and other family on the Gold Coast, and also relaxing in Byron, then flying to Darwin, spend a week plus around there, flying back to Melbourne and spending a week staying with The Man's Brother (one of my favourite people).
So excited! Something to look forward to, and I was all happy and energised.
But then My Besties flew to Africa on the weekend (on The List, but I couldn't afford to go with them so soon after the wedding), and I logged on to see that Gala was in Paris, not to mention Super Kawaii Mama is off on her own little childfree sojourn (including Japan!) that I got Travel Envy. Naughty me.
Off to work out how many days till we're off...

Labels:


Al at 10:52 AM |

0 Comments: